Our staff will respond to your query promptly and provide detailed information to your questions.
- 2019 Available
6 days - Celebrate New Year under the Northern Lights.
High above the Arctic Circle of Northern Norway, Lyngen Lodge is an exclusive luxury lodge with top quality cuisine and a fantastic location above the Lyngen Fjord. This is where the mountains meet the fjords and un-spoilt nature lies at the doorstep.
Lyngen Lodge caters for 18 guests in 8 en-suite twin and double bedrooms with triple and single options. The lodge provides full board accommodation and amenities include a fully licensed bar (drinks not included), dining room, lounge stua with large open fireplace, library/seminar room, sauna and outdoor Jacuzzi.
We have a small group at Lyngen Lodge for this exclusively 5-night all-inclusive New Years program, and packed it full of adventures, relaxation, hearty local cuisine, fishing, dog sledding, fireworks display and if nature permits; the spectacle of the Northern Lights.
Join us for a New Year's Eve celebration to remember.
- If nature permits, wander onto the decks to experience the Christmas magic beneath the incredible spectacle of the Northern Lights
- Enjoy a welcome dinner of local produce and a glass of Prosecco in the hot tub
- Activities include Dogsledding, Sea Safari, Snowmobiles, Snowshoeing & Ice Fishing
- New Year's Celebrations including fireworks and a special dinner
- Day 1
- 28 Dec: Arrive at Lyngen Lodge - wander onto the decks at night to search for the Northern Lights.
- Day 2
- 29 Dec: Dogsledding in the Lyngsfjord region
- Day 3
- 30 Dec: Snowmobiles & Ice Fishing
- Day 4
- 31 Dec: Sea Safari and New Years Eve
- Day 5
- 01 Jan: Sleep in and then hit the slopes snowshoeing through snow-covered forests and mountains.
- Day 6
- 02 Jan: Departure day
- Start/End Place
- Tromsø, Scandinavia
- Destinations Visited
- 6 Days
- Group Size
- Special Interest
Return transfers Tromsø/ Skjervøy to Lyngen Lodge (set times)
- All accommodation in a shared double/twin room, single supplement available
- Full board at Lyngen Lodge from dinner day 1 to breakfast day 6 (drinks and alcohol is not included)
- New Years Eve dinner and firework display
- __Return transfers Tromsø/ Skjervøy to Lyngen Lodge (The shared arrival transport is available for flights with arrival in Tromsø no later than 15.00 and return transfer at no later than 09.30 and will be in Tromsø for latest 13.00) __
- 4 activities as described (Dogsledding, Frozen Lakes, Sea Safari. The fourth activity is a choice between Cross country skiing or Snowshoeing)
- 24-hour emergency service
- Taxes and service fees
International flight tickets, alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, travel insurance, visas, gratitudes and any items of personal nature.
Day 1 - 28 Dec: Arrive at Lyngen Lodge - wander onto the decks at night to search for the Northern Lights.
Today is arrival day, and a transfer is included from Tromsø (2.5 hours) or Skjervøy (30 mins). Check in, relax and get to know your fellow travellers over a cup of tea or a glass of wine. In the evening enjoy a welcome dinner of local produce.
Lyngen Lodge is located in secluded woodland above the Lyngen Fjord, quoted by guests as "the most dramatic and spectacular coastal scenery ever seen" here the mountains meet the fjords and the unspoilt nature simply awaits to entertain you.
Lyngen Lodge caters for 18 guests in 8 en-suite twin and double bedrooms with triple and single options. The lodge provides full board accommodation and amenities include a fully licensed bar, dining room, lounge stua with large open fireplace, library/seminar room, sauna and outdoor jacuzzi.
Traditionally constructed from Norwegian "lafting" pine timber frame in close partnership with the environment, geothermic heating provides the warmth while a thick grass roof provides insulation. The interior wears shades of pastel colours and furnishings chosen to compliment the surrounding natural environment. Large panoramic windows in the centre of the lodge provide guests with commanding views over the spectacular Lyngen Alps; while the large open stone fire place creates a relaxed, peaceful and welcoming atmosphere.
Catering and hosting is of the highest standards with fine local produce being prepared by in house chefs resulting in delicious cuisine with a focus on Norwegian coastal culture.
Day 2 - 29 Dec: Dogsledding in the Lyngsfjord region
Today, you will have the opportunity to mush your own team of 8 dogs under the full guidance and instruction of our professional sled guides. Alternatively you can sit in the sled, be driven and simply sit back and enjoy the experience.
The sleds hold one musher and one passenger; the dogs are friendly, nimble and extremely strong. The sleds comfort and manoeuvrability ensuring a magical day.
Our dog sledding venue is located in a peaceful wilderness, combining pine forests, open tundra and high mountains. Before the tour begins you'll meet the dogs, help prepare the sleds and be briefed on safety. Lunch will be served en route, outdoors over an open fire under the impressive and dramatic mountain scenery truly unique to Northern Norway.
Day 3 - 30 Dec: Snowmobiles & Ice Fishing
Today, access the high mountain terrain via snowmobile. Once on the mountain plateau you will experience ice fishing on the frozen lakes for mountain trout and visit spectacular view points over the Lyngen Alps. During this activity you are passengers during the snowmobile transport to the high mountain plateau.
The journey to the high lake via snow mobile takes 30 minutes through snow covered birch tree forests. Once at the lake, a shelter camp is made and ice holes drilled through the ice so fishing can begin. The ice is so thick that it is possible to make a fire on the ice and cook the fresh fish directly at the camp.
You will also be able to explore the surrounding area on snowmobiles in between fishing sessions.
Day 4 - 31 Dec: Sea Safari and New Years Eve
Norwegian culture is spilt equally between the land and the sea, and on board the Spirit of Lyngen boat you will experience a wide diversity of fjord life. The journey begins with dolphin spotting along the nature reserve at Spåkenes en route to visit the historic stockfish drying process on the island of Uløya.
Venturing over by boat to the Lyngen Alps east coast to visit the ice cave and the sheer towering rock walls that plunge into the ocean. Europe’s largest eagle the Havn Ørn is regularly seen hunting for fish.
This evening we celebrate the last day of the year with a gourmet dinner, and welcome the New Year with a private fireworks display.
NOTE: Winter Sea Safari is subject to the weather conditions on the fjord. It is offered only when favourable conditions can be guaranteed while at the lodge.
Day 5 - 01 Jan: Sleep in and then hit the slopes snowshoeing through snow-covered forests and mountains.
Sleep in and enjoy the last day at the lodge. After a leisurely breakfast, get some fresh air by joining your last included activity, snowshoeing. It is the perfect way to walk and gain access to the snow covered forests and mountains directly behind the lodge. There are numerous walks that lead to wonderful view points high above the Lyngen Fjord. After learning the simple techniques, you will be lead on a historical and natural journey that provides deeper appreciation to this spectacular region.
Optional Add Ons
Day 6 - 02 Jan: Departure day
In the midmorning, after a traditional Norwegian breakfast, say good-bye and continue to your next destination. We will transfer you back to Tromsø, the airport or to Skjervøy if you are continuing on a Hurtigruten voyage.
All prices listed are per person.
2 Jan 2020
Activity groups will be split into two smaller groups of 8.
The shared arrival transport is available for flights with arrival in Tromsø no later than 15.00. The shared departure transport will leave the lodge no later than 09.30 and will be in Tromsø for latest 13.00. Private transfer at additional cost is available on request.
Please note that drink prices are state controlled by the Norwegian government, with a high tax rate placed on alcohol consumption within the Scandinavian culture. Wine is typically served by the glass at dinner under the acknowledgment of each guest.
Interactive Tour Map
Travel insurance is compulsory for all tours with 50 Degrees North. Please ensure that you have this organised as we will need to see proof of this upon issuing your tour documentation. Please contact us for a quote or visit http://www.suresave.net.au/
Practical Information for travelling and packing for Scandinavian Winter
- Warm wind and water proof jacket and trousers large enough to fit thick woollen jumper/clothing underneath
- Rain trousers – waterproof and breathable material
- Warm windproof cap/hat
- Warm gloves or mittens. Mittens where all fingers except the thumb are together are often warmer than gloves.
- Windproof gloves or mittens, which you can pull over the warm gloves
- Warm scarf
- 2 pairs of long woollen underwear (Merino wool in a few different thicknesses is perfect)
- 1-2 warm woollen jumper(s), or one jumper and a warm fleece
- Woollen or fleece trousers
- 2-3 pairs of warm woollen socks
- Warm & sturdy footwear with good grip
- Clothes for indoors, i.e. a shirt, T-shirts and jeans or cotton trousers
- Back pack for day trips (approx. 30 litre)
- Light footwear/trainers (mainly for indoors)
- Sun screen & Lip salve (the sun reflects off the snow and the air is dry)
- Hand warmers
- Nordic Grip anti-slip soles for walking on ice
- Personal medication
- Water bottle - thermo, or include a cover to keep warm (or you can stick it into a warm sock)
- Travel documents (including insurance)
- Photo ID
- Note book and pencil
- Camera, memory cards and charger
- Chargers for other gadgets
- Extra batteries for your cameras as they are used fast in cold conditions.