Our staff will respond to your query promptly and provide detailed information to your questions.
- Great value
8 days - The best of Lapland with winter activities and overnight husky safari
Enjoy the best of Finnish Lapland, staying in the countryside resort in Harriniva. Located 230kms north of the Arctic Circle, this local resort offers a great range of winter activities. A comfortable Scandinavian style accommodation combined with a wellness centre with a wide range of therapies and treatments, offers you a great Winter Adventure with an added bonus of the Northern Lights.
During your stay you get to know huskies and reindeers, and get to go snowmobiling. You can also venture out on snowshoes or cross country skis. As an optional excursion we offer an evening Snowmobiling Safari in search for the Northern Lights.
This trip is an extension of the Northern Lights in Finland tour, with an overnight husky safari and a more leisurely pace to enjoy Finland. Ask one of our Finnish Destination Specialists for more details.
- The original adults only Lapland Adventure tour
- 2-day tour with overnight in the wilderness
- Day 1
- Arrive at Kittilä airport and transfer to Harriniva Hotel
- Day 2
- Experience a day of Reindeer husbandry and traditional Lappish living
- Day 3
- Snowmobile riding in the vast wilderness of Finnish Lapland
- Day 4
- Husky overnight trip, staying at the Nivunkijärvi cabin with a lakeside sauna
- Day 5
- Lunch by the open fire en route as you husky ride back to Harriniva
- Days 6 - 7
- Free days to enjoy cross country skiing or head off downhill skiing
- Day 8
- Transfer to Kittilä airport
- Start/End Place
- Kittilä, Finland tours
- Country Visited
- Finland tours
- 8 Days
Dogsled, snowmobiles, private transfers, snowshoes and reindeers sleds.
- Airport transfers (for scheduled domestic flights)
- 6 nights' accommodation in cosy hotel rooms with private facilities
- 1 nights' accommodation in a wilderness hut with shared facilities
- Full board for complete stay
- Snowmobile safari - 2 persons per snowmobile, 5 hours, approximately 60-80 km
- 2-day Husky Safari 60 km - 1 person per husky team
- Reindeer farm visit with a 7km Reindeer Sled Safari
- Thermal clothing (thermo-overalls, socks, mittens, boots, warm hat, sleeping bag) for complete stay
- Cross-country skiing equipment or snowshoes for one day
Aurora Alarm can be organised at the reception on your arrival - approx. 12 Euros. Aurora Sighting SMS will be sent to your phone during your stay at the cabins.
Day 1 - Arrive at Kittilä airport and transfer to Harriniva Hotel
Arrival at Kittilä airport and transfer to Harriniva Hotel. Harriniva hotel is located 230kms north of the Arctic Circle in the Finnish part of Lapland and offers a great range of winter activities. A comfortable Scandinavian style accommodation is combined with a wellness centre with a wide range of therapies and treatments.
Accommodation in cosy double rooms with shower and toilet. Dinner in the restaurant.
Day 2 - Experience a day of Reindeer husbandry and traditional Lappish living
Breakfast and transfer to reindeer farm (20 minutes). Today you will visit a 100 years old, traditional reindeer farm of Torassieppi. You will get information about reindeer and reindeer husbandry, as well as the old way of living in Lapland in a museum and old Lappish farm house. You will learn how to throw the Lappish lasso, and finally test your reindeer driving skills on an approx. 7km long reindeer safari through the forest - (1-2 persons per sled). Lunch will be served around an open fire during the safari.
Return to Harriniva in the afternoon, where a warm sauna is waiting. Dinner and overnight in the hotel.
Day 3 - Snowmobile riding in the vast wilderness of Finnish Lapland
After a delicious breakfast our experienced guide will give you driving and safety instructions for driving a snowmobile and it is time to start your engines! (2 persons / snowmobile). A snowmobile is surprisingly easy, even for beginners, and soon you will be speeding through the snow covered forests and over the frozen lakes admiring the vast wilderness of Finnish Lapland.
Lunch is prepared by an open fire in the wilderness. Duration of the excursion approx. 5 hours, distance driven 60-80 km. Return to Harriniva for a warm sauna, dinner and overnight in your cosy wilderness style hotel rooms.
Day 4 - Husky overnight trip, staying at the Nivunkijärvi cabin with a lakeside sauna
After breakfast you will pack your equipment for the 2-day tour and get acquainted with the huskies! You will visit the Harriniva Arctic Sleddog Centre with nearly 400 huskies and hear of the life of these arctic dogs. The husky guide will teach you how to handle the sled and you will meet your team of 4-5 dogs that accompany you for the 2 day safari. Each person drives his own sled. Lunch by an open fire en route. Driving distance is about 25 km.
In the afternoon arrival to Nivunkijärvi cabin, where you can test your wilderness skills with making fire, feeding the huskies and heating the lakeside sauna. Overnight in the cabin in shared facilities.
AccommodationNivunkijärvi cabin with a lakeside sauna.
Day 5 - Lunch by the open fire en route as you husky ride back to Harriniva
You will start in the morning from the cabin and continue the husky safari for around 25 to 30 km. Lunch by an open fire en route. Return to Harriniva in the afternoon and check-in to your hotel rooms. After having a relaxing sauna enjoy dinner at the hotel's restaurant.
Days 6 - 7 - Free days to enjoy cross country skiing or head off downhill skiing
These final two days are free for your own activities. You can go cross-country skiing or try snowshoes and discover the surrounding nature. You can also buy extra activities on spot from our optional programmes or go downhill skiing at one of the nearby skiing centres.
After having a relaxing sauna you will have a chance to relive the exiting week with the group during a special farewell dinner with delicious Lappish dishes.
Optional Add Ons
Day 8 - Transfer to Kittilä airport
After breakfast, transfer to Kittilä airport.
All prices listed are per person. Departure every Saturday or Sunday. Christmas departure includes Christmas dinner or New Years party with upgraded dinner, sparkling wine and fireworks.
20 Dec 2019
20 Dec 2019
3 Jan 2020
3 Jan 2020
20 Mar 2020
20 Mar 2020
10 Apr 2020
10 Apr 2020
Please note that the week leading up to Christmas is very busy and difficult to get accommodation.
This tour is designed for adults and children above the age of 18.
You have the option to add more nights, staying at unique accommodation offered in this area. You can also arrive on Saturday.
Spend an extraordinary night in a traditional snow igloo! Igloos have been used in the Northern countries for accommodation during centuries. The temperature outside can drop down to minus thirty degrees and your double bed is made of snow, but the inside temperature stays moderate. Soft and warm mattress, thick sleeping bags and hot juice ensure a warm and comfortable night.
The Aurora Dome is a luxury tent, which gives you a comfortable way to spend a night in the wilderness watching the northern lights in the comfort and warmth of a cozy bed and a fireplace. The see through side wall of the dome is directed towards the northern sky with a view over the Torasjärvi lake. The scenery to the untouched Lappish wilderness is breathtaking even on cloudy nights! Nearest facilities with sauna, toilet and shower are located in only 50m away.
NOTE: Please note that this tour is not suitable for children under 18 years of age. Contact our Finnish Destination Specialists for similar more child friendly tour options.
Interactive Tour Map
Travel insurance is compulsory for all tours with 50 Degrees North. Please ensure that you have this organised as we will need to see proof of this upon issuing your tour documentation. Please contact us for a quote or visit http://www.suresave.net.au/
Practical Information for travelling and packing for Scandinavian Winter
- Warm wind and water proof jacket and trousers large enough to fit thick woollen jumper/clothing underneath
- Rain trousers – waterproof and breathable material
- Warm windproof cap/hat
- Warm gloves or mittens. Mittens where all fingers except the thumb are together are often warmer than gloves.
- Windproof gloves or mittens, which you can pull over the warm gloves
- Warm scarf
- 2 pairs of long woollen underwear (Merino wool in a few different thicknesses is perfect)
- 1-2 warm woollen jumper(s), or one jumper and a warm fleece
- Woollen or fleece trousers
- 2-3 pairs of warm woollen socks
- Warm & sturdy footwear with good grip
- Clothes for indoors, i.e. a shirt, T-shirts and jeans or cotton trousers
- Back pack for day trips (approx. 30 litre)
- Light footwear/trainers (mainly for indoors)
- Sun screen & Lip salve (the sun reflects off the snow and the air is dry)
- Hand warmers
- Nordic Grip anti-slip soles for walking on ice
- Personal medication
- Water bottle - thermo, or include a cover to keep warm (or you can stick it into a warm sock)
- Travel documents (including insurance)
- Photo ID
- Note book and pencil
- Camera, memory cards and charger
- Chargers for other gadgets
- Extra batteries for your cameras as they are used fast in cold conditions.