8H Into the Ice - Stories of a Polar Hero
Adolf Henrik Lindstrøm from Hammerfest was a cook and explorer who participated in all the expeditions that nurtured Norway’s status as an important polar nation. Lindstrøm joined Nansen, Amundsen and Sverdrup on their expeditions to both the North Pole and South Pole. He sailed through the North-West Passage and around the American continent. No Norwegian had more experience in Arctic and Antarctic areas.
Learn even more about this remarkable polar legend on this excursion, which begins with a bus trip from Hammerfest pier to
Framheim´, a large cosy tent with fireplace named after the Amundsen expedition camp at the South Pole, on nearby Mount Salen. After donning warm clothes we launch our own expedition by foot to the top of the mountain where you really get a sense of being outdoors in the Arctic. We plant a Norwegian flag at the summit and return toFramheim´ for a taste of Lindstrøm’s favourite recipes.
- Disembarking port: Hammerfest
- Embarking port: Hammerfest
- Southbound or Northbound: Southbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 10:55 - 12:40
- Available period: 08 November - 22 March
- Transportation: Bus
- Meals on the trip: Favourite Lindstrøm dishes, including`steak a la Lindstrøm´, and hotcakes.
- Clothes/Footwear: Hiking shoes, and warm, windproof clothing. Special clothing, walking sticks and spikes are provided.
- Note: The mini-expedition is on uphill terrain, but not steep. Participants need to be in good physical condition.
- Age limit: 16 years old together with parent