Highlights of Lofoten
Join us for an excursion that takes you through Lofoten's many fishing villages and towns, starting in Stamsund and ending in Kabelvåg.
- Highlights of the landscape in the Lofoten Islands
- Visit the gallery of a famous Norwegian painter
- See the gothic Lofoten Cathedral
- Enjoy a visit to the Lofoten Museum
fter starting in Stamsund, our first stop is a photo stop at Torvdalshalsen. We then continue to Kabelvåg, the oldest fishing village in the Lofoten Islands and formerly the largest. It was here that Lofoten’s commercial fisheries started more than 1,000 years ago. In Kabelvåg, we visit Gallery Espolin, with the largest collection of works made by beloved artist Kaare Espolin Johnson, known for his depictions of the sea, Lofoten and the hard lives of fishermen.
Close to the gallery is Lofoten Museum where you can learn about the history of the local fishermen. At the site of the medieval town of Vågar, once an important community founded on the fish trade, we see authentic fishermen's cabins and boathouses featuring Nordland boats. Our last stop is Vågan Church in Kabelvåg, also known as Lofoten Cathedral. The church was built in 1898 in the Gothic Revival style and is one of Norway´s largest with close to 1,200 seats.
- Disembarking port: Stamsund
- Embarking port: Svolvær
- Southbound or Northbound: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 19:10 - 21:50
- Available period: 04 April - 31 August
- Transportation: Bus