Mountain Hike in the Hjørundfjord
Join a spectacular mountain hike in the Hjørundfjord region. From the top is a panoramic view of steep mountain peaks rising directly from the fjords to heights reaching 5,000 ft above sea level. Even in the summer there is snow on the mountains and numerous small hanging glaciers. The hike starts on an old farm road and continues on a tractor path. It's a steep climb towards the top, and the last 1,600 ft you climb an old stone stairway.
At the top you are rewarded with an absolutely amazing view. If you follow a path farther up the hill, you can see the village of Sæbø on the other side of the fjord. At the top you can also visit an abandoned bear cave. Before descending, we take a coffee break in Leknes valley, overlooking the village Urke, the fjord and the beautiful mountains. We take the same farm road back down, and visit the local grocer before ending our excursion at Kaihuset Café. There you are served an ice-cold “Slogen” beer, named after the majestic mountain we see across the fjord.
- Disembarking Port: Urke
- Embarking port: Urke
- Direction: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 11:45 - 14:30
- Available From: 2 September – 1 November
- Duration: 2 hours 45 min
- Level: 4
- Meals During the Excursion: Coffee, snacks and taste of local beer
- Clothes/Footwear: Hiking shoes, warm and windproof clothing
- Recommended equipment is backpack with water bottle, extra clothing, camera and sunglasses. The guide will bring necessary safety equipment. Participants should be in good general health.
- Age limit: 12 years old together with parent