Get the most out of your visit to the Faroe Islands
Our Nordic Leader, Satu offers her favourite scenic locations in the Faroe Islands. Unspoiled, Unexplored, Unbelievable - visit the Faroe Islands next summer and explore Europe's best kept secret.
Our Nordic Leader, Satu Vänskä-Westgarth offers some of her favourite scenic highlights for your self-drive tour to the Faroe Islands. She is a regular visit to the Faroe Islands, self-driving, cycling and hiking with friends.
- The Light house in Mykines - this is a must, although probably one of the most photographed locations in the Faroes. I’d recommend going there in the evening i.e. staying overnight on the island, as most tourists come for a day trip only. Read more here about Mykines accommodation options. and talk to us for new suggestions.
- Saksun village & its beautiful church - preferably I would come here in low tide so you can follow the small inlet to the sea.
- Bridge over to Rituskor on Suðuroy island - slightly off the beaten path and cool spot for photos if you do not have fear of heights. Loads of details here about how & why to visit this island.
- Hike along the Leitisvatn (this is close to the airport), the lake runs almost to the sea/cliffs and is a great place for photographs if weather is right.
- The boat trip to Vestmanna Bird Cliffs is stunning and worth the visit too.
- The guest house in Gjógv, Gjáargarður is another must in Faroes. The small harbour in the village is also well worth a visit (and much photographed!).
It’s good to keep in mind that the weather in Faroes can change at any given moment, and fog is a big issue. However, if it is foggy on one island, the next one might be almost clear. Read my hiking guide to the Faroe Islands here.
Also, you can go hiking from pretty much anywhere, and come across really beautiful views. So allowing some time for just exploring is a good idea. Visit Faroe Islands has just released a new hiking guide - take a look here.
If you are a foodie, be sure to book ahead to secure a table at KOKS, the michelin star rated restaurant, a half-hour taxi from the capital.
At 50 Degrees North, we encourage you to get off the beaten track so contact us for more personal advice to plan your perfect Faroe Islands adventure.