How to pack for a Norwegian Coastal Voyage
Visit the Norwegian Coast during summer in comfort.
A Norwegian summer is often affectionately called a “green winter” by the locals, but fear not: a Norwegian summer covers a wide range of weather during the months June through to August. In the past few years Norwegians have enjoyed an unseasonably warm late-July and August, while June and early July resembles spring with cool, overcast days.
The coast of Norway varys in temperature depending on how far north you go. The further north, the colder it gets. In the south you’ll find mild and often wet weather in Bergen and as you travel northwardly, the weather cools. You may possibly even find spring snow up towards Kirkenes. Wind also makes a big difference to the temperature when you are travelling out on the water. Weather wise, we recommend looking at our local weather website or for expected daylight hours, check https://www.timeanddate.com/.
Here are some essential items to bring along with you, whatever the season:
- Camera and memory card
- Comfortable everyday shoes
- Woolsweater or fleece
- Passport and/or ID card (this also applies to Scandinavian citizens)
- Sun protection
- Credit cards
- A hooded rain-proof windcheater jacket that zips up: This is perfect for cool, wet days or windy voyages on local ships/ boats/ ferries.
- Mid layer jacket
- Wind and water proof trousers
- Woollen underwear
- The dress code aboard the Hurtigruten ship is relaxed and casual, and you are not expected to dress formally for meals
- Swimwear - don't miss the frequent chances to jump into hot tubs and saunas along the coast of Norway.
_Hot tub on Hurtigruten, credit: Hurtigruten _
It can get quite cold along the coast this time of year. Make sure to pack warm clothes:
- Winter boots with good grip
- Thick winter jacket
- Warm hat and gloves
- Woollen socks
- Woolen sweater or fleece
- Fleece sweater
- Light jacket (water-resistant)
- Light woollen socks
- Hiking shoes
- Light scarf
- Thin hat and gloves
credit: Georg Dietrich Kunzendorf, Hurtigruten